These Berry crumble bars are a vegan, gluten free take on the classic! This recipe is very forgiving so I have included a variety of substitutions at the bottom in case you do not have the flour or coconut oil on hand! In addition I chose to make them with frozen berries because they are typically less expensive than the fresh vareity and more widely available year round.
This recipe is perfect for a summer BBQ or cook out because they are hand held and made with ingredients almost everyone can eat! However, they are best served cold so I recommend keeping them in the fridge until ready to serve!
Berry Crumble Bars
Crust and Crumble
- 1 cup paleo baking flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- Preheat your oven to 375 and line a small baking dish (8×8 or 8×6) with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the paleo baking flour, rolled oats, salt, coconut oil, brown sugar, vanilla and baking powder.
- Take 2/3 of the mixture (about 1 and 1/2 cups) and press into an even layer in the baking dish. Using the back of a measuring cup can help keep it smooth! Bake for 15 min.
- While the base is baking, thaw the frozen berries in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds until soft but not warm
- Mix the thawed berries, corn starch, sugar, and lemon zest and lemon juice well. Break up any of the larger berries with your hands or a fork.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Poor the berries over top and spread into an even layer.
- Top with the remaining crumb mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Coconut oil should not be fully melted but should be soft, like room temperature butter
- You can easily substitute the butter flavored coconut oil for regular coconut oil, or butter.
- I used the Bobs red mill paleo flour in this recipe but it also works with all purpose flour, whole wheat flour or all purpose gluten free flourl!
- These are best served very cold so I recommend making them a night in advance so they can cill in the fridge and firm up!
Looking for another recipe to take to your summer cook out? Try this fresh lemon herb potato salad.