This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is an easy to prepare dish for anyone to enjoy. It is a healthy comfort food packed with fiber and micronutrients.
This vegan butternut squash soup is the perfect creamy comfort food for a rainy day. It feels so rich and decadent but is deceptively nutritious, boasting high levels of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. It’s actually so nutritious I made the first variation of this recipe to serve at a hospital cafeteria while I was studying to be a Dietitian. The recipe has evolved quite a bit since then but it still packs a the same nutritious punch.
This soup is delicious on its own but I highly recommend topping with with some fresh herbs and crunchy croutons or a grilled cheese. To make the croutons just chop your favorite bread into 1 inch cubes, toss with olive oil and a light dusting of garlic salt then bake in a 425 oven for 10-15 min. Voila, crunchy croutons ready to add some textural interest.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or dairy free butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloveds garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, pealed and chopped into 1 inch cubes (about 8 cups cubes)
- 1.5 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Start by heating olive oil or butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and let cook, stirring occasionally for 10 min, until they start to soften and develop some color.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the butternut squash, butter and 1 tsp salt and let cook for 15-20 min, stirring occasionally until the squash starts to caramelize on the edges.
- Add the garlic and ginger, let cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to deglaze then add the coconut milk, pumpkin, and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 15-20 min then CAREFULLY transfer to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Be careful when blending hot food! You may need to blend this in batches to avoid causing an overflow. Start blending at the lowest speed then increase to the higher speeds gradually.
- Depending on the type of salt, and vegetable broth you use the seasoning on this could vary greatly so season pinch by pinch and taste as you go!
- Cutting a butternut squash can be dangerous, be sure to use safe knife skills. I have linked a instructional video on how to do it here.
Looking for another recipe to make use of Butternut Squash, check out my Butternut Squash Lasagna Roll Ups here.