This Vegan California Cookout Burger was made in collaboration with Beyond Meet to celebrate the release of their Cookout Classic Burger Value Pack. If you haven’t heard of, or tried, the Beyond Burger it is Vegan Burger that mimics the taste and texture of beef. I have been vegetarian for 12 years, so this burger was a huge game changer for me when it comes to social BBQ’s and cookouts! There is no more feeling left behind, over here, because you better believe if you made this at a BBQ all the meat eaters would be asking for a bite.
So what makes this burger so special? Well to start, the sun dried tomato aioli is so good you could eat it off a shoe! Seriously though, whenever I make this sauce I double the recipe so I can use extra as a french fry dipping sauce. It is the perfect combination of spicy from the garlic, sweet from the sun dried tomatoes and acidic from the lemon, it really pulls the whole burger together! When you combine that with caramelized onions, creamy avocado, peppery arugula, and fresh tomatoes this combo can’t be beat!
Vegan California Cookout Burger
Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Aioli
- 1/4 cup vegan Mayo
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Burger buns
- 2 Beyond Burger® patties
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 slices of tomato
- 2 slices vegan smoked gouda
- Start by making the carmelized onions. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, thinly sliced onions, and 1 tsp salt. Cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the aioli by mixing together the vegan mayo, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and lemon pepper. Chop the garlic and sun dried tomatoes as fine as you can to create a smoother texture.
- Cooke the Beyond Burger® patties according to package instructions. Once you flip the patties add the Vegan smoked gouda and cover with a lid to allow the cheese to melt. Toast the buns on the pan or grill for 2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading 1 tbsp of aioli on each half of the bun, then layer 1/2 cup arugula, 2 slices tomatoes, a pinch of salt, the Beyond Burger®, caramelized onions, avocado, and the top of the bun.
**Purchases from links on this site may provide a commission to Lettuce Thrive.
Looking for another burger recipe? Try these Pizza Burgers with a homemade veggies patty!