This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is a plant based take on the hearty Irish classic. It’s loaded with vegetables, beyond beef, and warm spices, then topped with creamy mashed potatoes. This is a dish everyone will love.
I’ll be honest with you, Irish food is not usually in my repertoire because I have been Vegetarian for many years and many of the traditional irish dishes popular in America are very meat forward. However, one of my goals this year was to experiment with and learn about new types of cultural cuisine and so I thought why not learn about shepherd’s pie.
Guess what I learned, what we often think of in America as shepherd’s pie, is really known as cottage pie! Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with lamb (which really makes a lot of sense since shepherds tend to sheep), and cottage pie is traditionally made with beef. My recipe is made with neither but rather the plant based beyond beef so maybe it should really be called shepherd-less pie. No sheep herders or animals were harmed in the making of my pie.
No matter your dietary preferences this plant based take on the classic is sure to be a hit. The Beyond Beef and vegetables are simmered in a flavorful gravy and then baked with fluffy mashed potatoes over top. Its a combo that can’t be beat so be sure to add this vegan shepherd’s pie to your menu this week.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- 2.5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 3 Tbsp plant based butter
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 lb Beyond Beef®
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp plant based worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cutting them into 1 inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a large pot then cover with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt and let boil for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and mash with plant based butter and ½ tsp salt.
- While the potatoes are cooking chop the onion and carrots into 1/4 inch cubes and dice the garlic.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onions to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the carrots, garlic, and ¼ tsp salt. Cook 2-3 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the Beyond Beef to the pan and break into bite size pieces. Let cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the flour parsley, thyme, rosemary, and paprika then stir to coat the Beyond Beef and let cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer and let thicken for 3-4 minutes. Add the corn and peas and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the filling into a baking dish and spread the mashed potatoes overtop. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.